Personal Injury, Criminal Law, Traffic Violations, and Family Law & Divorce

Looking for a Child Support or Alimony Attorney?

An unfair child support or spousal support settlement could harm you, your lifestyle and your children for years to come. An experienced attorney can help make sure that your rights are respected and that you receive the most beneficial child or spousal support arrangement possible.

The lawyers at the Law Offices of Elling & Elling provide personalized, practical and effective legal representation. You will work one-on-one with your attorney, analyzing every aspect of your personal circumstances to make sure no detail is overlooked. If you would like to schedule a free initial consultation with an attorney at our firm, call us at 301-637-0281 or toll free at 866-470-5187, or contact us online.

Child Support in Maryland

Every child has the right to receive child support, and every parent who does not have primary physical custody of the children has an obligation to contribute toward the support of their children. In Maryland child support is usually determined by the Maryland Child Support Guidelines. Your child support settlement will be calculated only after taking a number of factors into account, like the income of each parent, the custody and visitation arrangement, and any unique expenses that may relate to your situation.

Alimony in Maryland

It is rare that the spouse with the higher income can avoid paying some form of spousal support. Alimony payments are determined based on the nonpaying spouse’s ability to be wholly or partly self-supporting, the income disparity between the two spouses, the length of the marriage, the reason the marriage failed, the standard of living that the parties established during the marriage, the contributions, monetary and nonmonetary, each spouse made to the well-being of the family, and other relevant factors.

Enforcement and Modification

Child support and spousal support payments can both be modified at any time following the initial order or divorce decree, but only if there has been a material or significant change in the circumstances of either party. A material or significant change can involve a change in income, a change in expenses or a change in the custody and visitation order. The enforcement of an order is usually necessary when the paying spouse refuses to pay alimony or child support as ordered by the court.

As a small law firm, Elling & Elling is able to provide cost-effective, personalized service. To meet with an attorney who can work on your case, call us at 301-637-0281 or toll free at 866-470-5187, or contact us online for a free initial consultation..